Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Anyone Remember Ross Perot?

You know, the guy who gave Bill Clinton the presidency?

Feel free to write in Alan Keyes. I love the guy--met him in person when I was 18 and voting for the first time, in 1992. He's everything he seems to be in public, as well as charming and humble.

Feel free to write in Ron Paul. Dh and I were early supporters of him, before it became beyond obvious that he would not get the Republican nomination. His pro-life position is excellent, and his ideas are exciting.

Heck, feel free to write in Mickey Mouse. I did, back in 1992, when my options for US Senator were some forgettable pro-choice Democrat and the incumbent, Bob Packwood, the slimey pro-choice Republican.

Of course, since then I've changed my political decision-making process from seeking the perfect to settling for the best I can get. I voted for Mitt Romney, back in his pro-choice days, when he ran against Ted Kennedy for US Senate in Massachussetts back in 1994. At the time I figured, given two pro-choice options, I should vote for the man who would do the least damage. Kennedy was an exceptionally effective Senator, and had Romney won in 1994 he would have done far better in at least the other issues that matter to me.

This is America. You can vote for whomever you choose. It is entirely up to you and your conscience. Just be clear on the reality of what your vote means.

Because if you vote for anyone other than McCain/Palin, your vote will effectively be cast for Obama/Biden. That's the reality of the situation.

Obama's camp couldn't be happier to have protestors at Focus on the Family because Dobson has publicly stated he'll vote for McCain. Obama's strategists are counting on Ron Paul and Allan Keyes rallying votes away from McCain. The conserservatives will split their votes, and Obama will win the presidency.

And, bottom line, we'll deserve him--because we knew better. We got Clinton in 1992. We've been here and done this before, gang. And McCain is a MUCH better option than Bush, Sr. was in 1992.

No comments: