1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper with those curly ribbons. I use gift bags throughout the year for birthdays, showers, etc., but I really like wrapping the Christmas presents.
2. Real tree or Artificial? We've always had a real tree. I love the smell and going to the tree farm to cut it down ourselves, but since moving to Utah going to the tree lot is much less fun. Add to that the yearly cost, and I jumped when an artificial one was offered on our local freecycle board. This will be our first year with an artificial tree.
3. When do you put up the tree? It varies. Given my preference, we would put it up on the first Sunday of Advent, which is usually the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Dh usually wants to do it the first weekend of December, so that's when we do it.
4. When do you take the tree down? On January 2nd or 3rd.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes. But only once or twice. And the eggnog-flavored coffee creamer is repulsive.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I don't remember specific gifts. I got books every year for Christmas, and that was usually my favorite.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My father-in-law.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My kids.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? We have a kid-friendly one with plastic figures for them to play with and set up. I would like to start collecting a set, but haven't decided on the Willow Tree set or another one.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, definitely. Although I'm considering a hybrid this year--mailing postcards with our family Christmas picture (already ordered and on their way) and setting up a Christmas letter website. We'll see...
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Probably the fact that I didn't get a single book last year. I was surprised by how sad I was not to have a new book to start reading on Christmas day.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? LOTR is inextricably tied to the Christmas season for me, since that's when they were all released. I'll also often watch the five-hour Pride and Prejudice movie right around the holiday. As far as actual "Christmas" movies go, I enjoy White Christmas, Holiday Inn, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Santa Clause.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? January. I like to buy throughout the year. And my goal is to finish my Christmas shopping on Black Friday, so that December I can stay out of the stores as much as possible.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas gift? Yes.
16. Lights on the tree? Yes. I like slowly blinking white lights the best. Dh prefers flashing colored lights. We take turns. I think this is his year.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Hark, How the Bells; I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day; O Holy Night; Santa Got Run Over by a Reindeer *blush*
18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? I wish we could travel, since almost all our family is in Oregon. But we'll be home in Utah.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Yes.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? A star
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We have the kids open one gift on Christmas Eve, which amazingly always ends up being pajamas! :-) After the kids are in bed, the presents placed under the tree and the stockings stuffed, dh and I exchange a few small things and celebrate the anniversary of our engagement. Christmas morning we open all the rest of the gifts.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Having to deal with others' stress every time I need to purchase milk at the Walmart. The unceasing drumbeat of materialism.
23. What theme or color are you using? I'm never that organized.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner. The traditional turkey holiday meal.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A peaceful, happy holiday with my family. Materially, I'm not certain. My parents are giving our family a zoo membership, at our request. I'm really happy about that. Other than that, I'm asking dh for a gift certificate for scrapbooking supplies and hoping for some good books. Oh, and a bluetooth headset.
26. Who is most likely to respond to this? ?
27. Who is least likely to respond to this? ?