Monday, March 3, 2008

The end of the world, as I knew it

Thirty years ago today, my life changed forever.

My brother was born, and his arrival marked the end of my existence as an only child. At four and a half, I was old enough to realize that things were different. But a child of four cannot comprehend what a difference having siblings will mean.

For me, my seven siblings have been one of the three greatest gifts my parents gave me. (The other two were their love for each other and a love of God and his Word.)

When I was young, I didn't always appreciate having siblings, especially since they were so much younger than I. But as we've grown up, I've been so grateful to have sisters and brothers who were raised in the same home, laugh at the same in-jokes, and share an appreciation for camping, the Oregon Coast, Bob's teriyaki chicken (all except our vegetarian brother, who makes a mean stirfry), books, 24, and Tillamook cheddar.

So I'm wishing a happy 30th birthday to my brother today. He ruined my life--and made it ten times better.

No comments: